`display_name` undefined when switching "Types of Users" from "Organization" to "Individual"

I have a new Auth0 application and a React app using “@auth0/auth0-react”: “^2.2.4”, which is working well when the Auth0 Application “Types of Users” config is set to “Organization” but which shows an error when switching to “Individuals”.

main.tsx

const AUTH0_DOMAIN = import.meta.env.VITE_AUTH0_DOMAIN;
const AUTH0_CLIENT_ID = import.meta.env.VITE_AUTH0_CLIENT_ID;

root.render(
  <StrictMode>
    <Theme>
      <Auth0Provider
        domain={AUTH0_DOMAIN}
        clientId={AUTH0_CLIENT_ID}
        authorizationParams={{
          redirect_uri: window.location.origin,
          audience: "https://api.staging.granular",
        }}
      >
        <App />
      </Auth0Provider>
    </Theme>
  </StrictMode>
);
  • Authentication and log out work fine when the Auth0 application is set to “Organizations”
  • But when I switch to “Individuals” and reload the page, I see an error in the React app: “Error Message: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘display_name’)”
  • This error is present regardless of whether the React app is previously logged in or logged out before I switch the “Types of User” to “Individuals”
  • I can’t see any references to display_name in the React app, which implies there’s something on the Auth0 side that is expecting but not receiving a display_name variable.

Clarification: I have incorrectly said that the “Types of User” option that works is “Organization”, when the option is actually titled “Business Users”.