Control user sign up

Hi! I’m new to Auth0 and I wanted to know if there is any way to control who can sign up in the application (currently in the free plan).

My ideas where with email invitation or just allowing direct creation through the dashboard, but any other idea is also welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Ceres6,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

Yes, this is possible by using a Pre-User Registration Action. When using a Pre-User Registration Action, you will have better control over how you prefer to restrict sign-ups to your users.

For instance, take a look at this example on Denying registration by location.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need help with implementation.

Thanks,
Rueben

Hi @rueben.tiow,

In first place, thank you for your quick answer, it helped a lot.

I was wondering whether the event parameter in the hook has any property that allows to differentiate sign ups created through the dashboard from the ones done through the sign up page in order to allow only the first case.

Thanks in advance,
Carlos.

1 Like

Hi @Ceres6,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to differentiate signups from the Dashboard versus the sign up page. However, I would like to offer an idea that may work.

As a workaround, you could use the Auth0 Management API to create a user with a custom user_metadata value.

Then in your Pre-User Registration Action script, you could conditionally check if the user satisfies this value, and proceed with your logic accordingly.

This way, you could differentiate sign ups from your sign-up page and create user requests. But note that the Auth0 Dashboard will not have any way to create users with user_metadata values.

Thanks,
Rueben

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.