Caching M2M token in Actions

Hello, I was trying to implement M2M access token caching using the instructions provided in this post:

In this example the token caching is done as a post login step, however for M2M caching I tried to implement inside the onExecuteCredentialsExchange, but when I tried out the code it got stuck in a loop and I quickly exceeded my monthly quota. I think the loop happens when I try to call the authClient.oauth.clientCredentialsGrant() function because it automatically counts as an on execute credentials exchange step which calls the action again and causes a loop. The code I used is the following:

exports.onExecuteCredentialsExchange = async (event, api) => {
  console.log("I am inside the Token Caching Action.");

const AuthenticationClient = require('auth0').AuthenticationClient;
  const jwt_decode = require('jwt-decode');

const record = api.cache.get('management-token');
  console.log("Record: ", record);
  let token = record?.value;
  let current_time =  Date.now().valueOf() / 1000;

console.log("Cached token: ", token);
  if (token != undefined) {
    var decoded = jwt_decode(token);
  }

if (token != undefined && decoded.exp > current_time) {
    const managementWithOldToken =  new AuthenticationClient({
      token: token,
      domain: event.secrets.domain,
    });

} else if (token == undefined || decoded.exp < current_time) {
    const management = new AuthenticationClient({
      clientId: event.secrets.clientId,
      clientSecret: event.secrets.clientSecret,
      tokenProvider: {
        enableCache: true,
        cacheTTLInSeconds: 86400
      }
    });

const newToken = await management.oauth.clientCredentialsGrant({
      audience: event.secrets.audience,
    });
    console.log("New token is: ", JSON.stringify(newToken));
    const result = api.cache.set('management-token', JSON.stringify(newToken));
    console.log("Token is cached.");
    if (result.type === 'error') {
      console.log("failed to set the token in the cache with error code ", result.code);
    } else {
      console.log("successfully set access token in cache");
    }

const managementWithNewToken = new AuthenticationClient({
      token: newToken,
    });

const check = api.cache.get('management-token');
    console.log("Check: ", check);
  }
};

I have a few questions regarding the M2M token caching in Actions:

1. Is the access token created in the Action is the same token that is issued to the application performing the Client Credentials flow?
  2. When caching anything it says that the cache can persist upto 15 minutes, however when I re-run my the flow the cache is always empty and returns a undefined value, the only time when I can access the cache is during the execution of the action or from another action, but in the same execution flow. So, my question is does the cache only work within the same flow?

Hi @tea.veljkovikj,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

I understand that you are trying to cache your M2M tokens in Actions.

Firstly, if you have exceeded your monthly M2M quota, you could be limited from issuing new M2M access tokens. In this case, I recommend reaching out to our direct support channel on support.auth0.com to see if they can help with your quota utilization.

Nope, they are considered different access tokens. Only the access token in the Action can be cached and used in future Action scripts.

If you are testing using the Actions built-in debugger interface, you will experience this issue where the cached items do not persist for up to 15 minutes. For cached items to persist, you must initiate the respective flow. For example, you must make a client credentials request for the cached items to be persist. Subsequent client credential requests will persist the cache items for up to 15 minutes.

Reference:

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Rueben

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.