Auth0 Home Blog Docs

Assign Roles to users using Rules

Hi All,

At the moment, we are using “Attach Role” Management API to assign a role to users. Is there a way to do this via Rules? Currently when using rules… it is creating roles in app_metadata or user_metadata.

Thanks,
Bharathi

Hi @bharathi.a16

Here’s a post showing how to call the management API from rules - How do I add a default role to a new user on first login?

Could you share your need on why you want to attach roles in rules ? I’d like to understand if there’s any missing feature in our core that makes you rely on rules to support your use case.

Thanks,
Marcos

1 Like

The linked thread shows a proper way to assign a role using the request package. Just wanted to point out that in Rules there is also the Node-SDK and thus ManagementClient object available (though requires to use the higher version than the default) which already has a wrapper method for assigning roles, so that could be used alternatively:

function (user, context, callback) {

var count = context.stats && context.stats.loginsCount ? context.stats.loginsCount : 0;
  if (count > 1) {
    return callback(null, user, context);
  }

var ManagementClient = require('auth0@2.17.0').ManagementClient;
  var management = new ManagementClient({
    token: auth0.accessToken,
    domain: auth0.domain
  });

management.assignRolestoUser(
    { id : user.user_id}, 
    { "roles" :["rol_Y4j6ngQoZpQ3fGmu"]},  // sample role ID of "Standard API Enduser"
    function (err) {
      if (err) {
        console.log('Error assigning role: ' + err);
      }    
      callback(null, user, context);
  });
}

In regards to use case: I came across similar request from a customer (for whom I had provided the above script) before where a newly registered user should automatically have a specific role, such as Standard API Enduser assigned in order to get proper role and especially permissions based on this role assigned in order to call a protected API (=> permitted scopes in access token). If using RBAC Core and permissions assigned to roles, these would otherwise not be returned in the user’s access token at first login.

1 Like

Hi @mathiasconradt

a newly registered user should automatically have a specific role, such as Standard API Enduser assigned in order to get proper role and especially permissions based on this role assigned in order to call a protected API

let me dig into this a little bit more. Would that role be assigned to every user or that depends on some condition ? If every user is getting that role, couldn’t you model the API to grant access by just having a valid access token ?

Would that role be assigned to every user or that depends on some condition ?

Every user that signs up using the web interface (Standard API Enduser), as opposed to a machine as in M2M, so it should make a difference whether a real end-user or a machine makes the call. Both have different roles and permissions, so an access token retrieved via Client Credentials Grant (M2M) should therefore hold different permissions.

Hi @Marcos_Castany,

We are using API to create users into Auht0 using Management Token and another API call to attach role. I just am trying to see if I can avoid extra API call to assign role.

Also, if I may ask… when we retrieve user information it does not show any roles attached to the user in the response. Is there a way we can get to see that info? apart from having it in user_metadata or app_metadata in the user profile.

Thanks,
Bharathi

Hi @bharathi.a16

We are using API to create users into Auht0 using Management Token and another API call to attach role. I just am trying to see if I can avoid extra API call to assign role.

Ah, ok. So you are provisioning the users instead of them signing up to your App ?

Also, if I may ask… when we retrieve user information it does not show any roles attached to the user in the response. Is there a way we can get to see that info? apart from having it in user_metadata or app_metadata in the user profile.

What endpoint are you using ? Any endpoint in the Management API or userinfo ?

Yes, Thats right.

Using Get UserInfo API for retrieving User details.