Hi @jaredgalanis1,
Welcome to the Community!
I think you should be able to do what you are describing. Can you share your code so I can trouble shoot the issues? Here is a thread that describes how to send a param to the pre reg hook:
and here is a thread that describes how to add it to the user_metadata property:
https://community.auth0.com/t/set-user-metadata-property-on-signup-hook/26516
This issue is because it isn’t automatically returned in the user profile. Here is a thread that shows how to set up a rule that returns user_metadata in the id token:
https://community.auth0.com/t/when-successful-login-id-token-has-not-the-user-metadata/12400/2
It is actually possible to do this in rules, and if you are wanting to add this property to social users you would have to do this in a rule. Hooks don’t run for non-database users.
You can add credentials in rules in the configuration object:
I know that is a lot of info so please let me know if you have questions!