Actions: How do I *set* an event.user.nickname?

hey @edent :wave:

I can’t speak much regarding the bug you mention from 5 years ago, but if you need to update something other than user_metadata or app_metadata on user profiles in Auth0 Actions, you will have to use the Management API.

See this FAQ for more info on how to set it up

Also, as noted in the FAQ above, the Management API updates are rate limited, so be sure to also add a check that the user’s event.user.nickname doesn’t already match event.user.screen_name before making the Management API request.

Hope this helps :crossed_fingers:

EDIT:
Something I forgot to mention, if you need to update nickname on social users, please note the following from this doc Configure Identity Provider Connection for User Profile Updates

By default, user profile attributes provided by identity providers other than Auth0 (such as Google, Facebook, Twitter) are not directly editable because they are updated from the identity provider each time the user logs in.

To be able to edit the name, nickname, given_name, family_name, or picture root attributes on the normalized user profile, you must configure your connection sync with Auth0 so that user attributes will be updated from the identity provider only on user profile creation.

1 Like