Auth0 Home Blog Docs

Updatable Normalized Profile Root Attributes [Product Roadmap: Launched]

auth0
userinfo
roadmap
roadmap-launched

Feature adding ability to update root attributes of user profiles in progress

Auth0 defines certain user profile attributes as the Auth0 Normalized Profile, including: name, given_name, family_name, nickname, and picture. These attributes are retrieved from federated identity providers (IdPs) when the user logs in, are then automatically updated in the User profile, and cannot be independently updated.

This upcoming feature enables Auth0 customers to update these attributes on demand. For example, if a user signs up using Google as the IdP, the root attributes are added from Google and are automatically updated with each subsequent login. This enhancement allows you to determine whether or not the attributes are automatically updated with each subsequent login, and update the attributes directly from your application. A common use-case for this would be a user signing up using a social login who wants to use a different avatar in your application than the one used in the social provider.

Previously, updated attributes had to be stored in user_metadata, resulting in search limitations (inability to search using wildcards or mixed case). This enhancement enables you to update the attributes without using user_metadata. Once updated attributes are set in the user profile instead of in user_metadata, wildcard search and case-insensitive search will be possible.

This feature is in active development. This topic will be updated with additional details and supporting documentation when the feature is launched.

UPDATE

This feature has now been launched, along with updates to user import. Docs for this feature are now available here: https://auth0.com/docs/users/normalized/auth0/update-root-attributes

5 Likes
As an admin, can I change one of my user's username? If yes, how?
Is it impossible to change user name of an existing user when Auth0 is the Identity Provider Attributes Section?
User search using search_engine=v3 is not consistent and user_metadata is case sensitive

Very much looking forward to this one!

Any news on this feature ?

Very much looking forward to this, not having the ability to update the first name / last name and being unable to filter on the user metadata has so-far been a dealbraker for me.

Any idea on the timeframe of the feature?

Hello @galesky and @hanshenp! Although we’re not able to provide timeframes (you can find details on how the roadmap is communicated here), I can share that updatable normalized profile root attributes is in a post-development testing phase at the time of this writing. This is the final phase before launch, and we will be sure to update in Community when the feature is available.

Can we expect this fix to be completed before the deadline for v3 search api migrattion.
We currently use User Search v2 and this is a blocker for us, we can’t migrate until we are able to search users properly.

I’ve opened another topic in here for more details:

Hello,
We are very much looking forward to this feature
Any updates / timeline ?

@kim.maida we’re also very much looking forward to this feature.

Do you have any updates on when this feature might be available?

We’re not able to provide timelines, but I’m hoping to have an update on how the final testing phase is going. I will follow up here!

Hello all! I’m pleased to announce that updatable normalized profile root attributes has been launched, along with updates to user import. Documentation for this feature is now available here: https://auth0.com/docs/users/normalized/auth0/update-root-attributes

1 Like