Disable user registration only for some applications

Is it possible to enable the user registration link (using universal login) only for some applications.

I have one application each for web and iOS but don’t want to enable user registration for iOS.

1 Like

Hi bobby2,

The setting is on a per-connection basis, so I don’t think this will be trivial.

You can always achieve this by disabling signups and doing signups via the management API for applications that require it. Not trivial out-of-the-box, but it will work.

I am very curious though what the use case is. In what circumstances would applications share a userbase, but only some applications allow registration?

Thanks

John

1 Like

Thanks for the reply John.
I believe this is a very common use case - For eg: Netflix allows you to sign up only on the web app and not on the mobile apps. This has to do with how the platforms require you to have in app purchases enabled if you allow users to sign up on the platform.

1 Like

I would find this very useful too, and it would be a make-or-break feature for me.

For example, if you have a paid SaaS web app that also has an iOS companion app that goes with it, Apple will require you give them a 30% cut of your subscriptions if they are able to sign up from within the app using an in-app purchase. If you offer an alternative way to sign up from within the app that circumvents the in-app purchase, they will not approve your app for distribution. However, if users are only able to signup on the web, and then use those same credentials in the mobile app – without any ability to sign up from within the mobile app – then they will allow it.

As such, the ability to disable user registration on a per-application basis is critical for people creating an app that will fall under these (not uncommon) circumstances.