Api/v2/users-by-email complaint

using the api https://###.auth0.com/api/v2/users-by-email?email=###
If a user doesn’t exist an empty array is returned with a status 200.
This is not a descriptive response. A different status code or a “user does not exist” message would be much more useful.

Hi @ink,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community Forum!

Thank you so much for the feedback. It is an important part of how we constantly grow the product and experience at Auth0. I highly suggest submitting a feedback ticket to feedback at Auth0, as this can get you in direct contact with the product team if they have any questions. If you are unable to do this let me know and I will submit the feedback on your behalf.

If I can give my opinion on why this may be the way it is:

I think the API is configured this way is because the /users-by-email endpoint is a search. So the status is returned as a 200 OK because the search ran successfully and returned the results (even though there were not matches in your example). Email at Auth0 is not necessarily a unique identifier, because a user could have a db connection in addition to a social connection. This is in line with the other search endpoints.

With that being said, I can’t stress enough how important feedback is to our process.

Thanks for reaching out with your feedback, and please let me know if you cannot submit the feedback ticket and I will submit one for you.

Warm Regards,
Dan

Thank you for your assistance. I went ahead and created a feedback ticket.

1 Like

Thanks, let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.