Problems making SSL MySQL connection with custom database

I’m trying to use MySQL SSL with a simple Javascript test application. I’m getting an error when I click the Try button to test my Auth0 custom code:

Invalid response code from the
auth0-sandbox: HTTP 400. Unexpected
token ;

I’m at a loss as to what it’s trying to tell me. :slight_smile: It seems to be related to my use of “require(‘mysql@2.7.0’)” which I found referenced in another blog posting. Without this line of code, I get “ER_ACCESS_DENIED_ERROR: Access denied for user”. I have the MySQL server configured to require SSL on the login. I have verified using mysql at the CLI that I can connect to the database using SSL.

I’m new to Auth0 and I’m using the Javascript Quickstart:
https://auth0.com/docs/quickstart/spa/vanillajs/03-calling-an-api

I’m using Auth0 v8.7:
https://cdn.auth0.com/js/auth0/8.7/auth0.js

My custom database login script begins with:

require('mysql@2.7.0');
function login(email, password, callback) {
  var connection = mysql({
    host: configuration.DB_HOST,
    user: configuration.DB_USER,
    password: configuration.DB_PASS,
    database: configuration.DB_NAME,
    ssl: {
      ca: configuration.DB_CA,
    }
  });

connection.connect();

The customs script you configured uses invalid syntax which leads to the error you mentioned.

If you want to require a specific node module to be used within the script you should do something similar to the following:

function login(email, password, callback) {
  var mysql = require("mysql@2.7.0");

var connection = mysql({ /* ... */ });

// ...
}

Notice that the require is performed within the custom script main function and the result is assigned to a variable so that it can later be used. You were doing a require outside the main custom script function and also not assigning the output which is invalid.

Thanks @jmangelo ! I changed my code to be:

var mysql = require(‘mysql@2.7.0’);
var connection = mysql.createConnection({
rejectUnauthorized: false
} … });

And now it works. I had to add the rejectUnauthorized because my server is using a self signed certificate for mysqld.

Thanks @jmangelo ! I changed my code to be:

var mysql = require(‘mysql@2.7.0’);
var connection = mysql.createConnection({
rejectUnauthorized: false
} … });

And now it works. I had to add the rejectUnauthorized because my server is using a self signed certificate for mysqld.