Users automatically removed?

It appears that a great number of users have been automatically removed. Anyone know why this would be?
A month ago I had 1200+ users in the directory, now I have about half that (~500).
Is there some form of automatic removal if the account hasn’t been used?

There is no automatic removal of users so this may just be an incorrect report of the user count. The reports and user search functionality target a source of users different than the actual user directory in order to reduce the event of functionality such as reports in any way affect the core user authentication experience. I’ll have to review the situation further and will keep you posted with more information, however, rest assured that the incorrect report count does not affect user authentication unless your custom implementation took a dependency on user search for the core flow.

there definitely should be over 1000 users in there, then. I have over 1000 users in the database that the app is linked to. So, I suspect it is reporting an incorrect total.
Note, however, that the number of pages that show up in the users list also represents approximately the same amount that the user count is reporting.
Ex: We have a 1000+ users, but it is saying only ~500. There are 10 people per page, and only 50 pages.

Also note that the number is decreasing! Yikes!
Had 500+ users yesterday, about 490 today. Had about 50 pages of users yesterday, only 49 today.

there definitely should be over 1000 users in there, then. I have over 1000 users in the database that the app is linked to. So, I suspect it is reporting an incorrect total.
Note, however, that the number of pages that show up in the users list also represents approximately the same amount that the user count is reporting.
Ex: We have a 1000+ users, but it is saying only ~500. There are 10 people per page, and only 50 pages.

Also note that the number is decreasing! Yikes!
Had 500+ users yesterday, about 490 today. Had about 50 pages of users yesterday, only 49 today.

The dashboard users list relies on user search so it would be expected to also show an incorrect number as the one reported for total count. As mentioned before, all your users still there, those two feature are just not reporting the full set of users. However, addressing the situation may require a manual maintenance operation so it may take some time for the situation to be back to normal; apologies for this situation.

adding a summary of the comments and a status update

The underlying issue was that both the user statistics reports and search functionality were using outdated information about the users. These functionalities do not directly use the user directly used for the core authentication and due to an issue the information between both sources of users got outdated.

The situation should now be resolved and the features in question should reports the real count of users. If you still experience the issue let me know.