Get Magic Link for Passwordless Login for Personalized Login E-mail

How would one go about getting the magic link to create a custom e-mail for Passwordless Authentication.

Here is the use case:

I have a list of e-mails who I would like to send a custom e-mail to. I would like to include a link for this user to login to the application with (the link should take the user straight to his dashboard). I do not want to link the user to a login portal for him / her to enter credentials.

Here are a few additional constraints:

• The e-mail has to be personalized and different per user. This is why I can’t just call /passwordless/start on the list of e-mails.
  • The login portal should still exist to allow the user to login (in the future).
2 Likes

The /passwordless/start endpoint which is part of the Authentication API has to send the link/code directly to the user as this is the public facing API that a login portal would use and that end-users can trigger directly.

This means that it is not possible to obtain the actual link/code yourself and then send it to the user as that would not be secure. An endpoint that could allow that would have to be a restricted endpoint available only to highly privileged applications, for example, an endpoint under the Management API.

Currently, there is no such endpoint available to directly obtain the link/code for passwordless authentication so the email customization per user cannot be easily implemented. I submitted your use case for consideration, however, this does not imply that such endpoint will ever be implemented.

3 Likes

I’d like to see a similar endpoint for this as email verification and password change under /api/v2/tickets. The current templates/tools for customising emails sent by auth0 are all kinds of awful for localisation, so I’d rather generate and send the emails myself.

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

Any updates on this?

I’m afraid there are no specific updates regarding this situation.